Sunday, 22 April 2012

Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls

This blog has moved! See this post on the relocated blog here: http://spiceboxofearth.co.uk/2012/04/22/bread-machine-cinnamon-rolls/




BV (before vegan) I used to adore these doughy cinnamon rolls - not the flaky pastries you understand, but the stodgy, sweet, yeasty wonder of big fat cinnamon rolls.

Now, I’m no bread baker, but recently I acquired a bread machine, and now I’m utterly in love. My trick is to let the machine make my dough for me, be it focaccia, ciabatta, or whatever. All the cinnamon roll bread machine recipes I found contained milk and eggs, but I wasn’t going to let a little thing like that stop me, and I more or less veganised this recipe in the end.

This recipe is for a regular sized bread machine, so you’ll want to half it if you have a weeny 1 pounder, like me!

Ingredients:
  •     1 cup + 2 tbsp warm soya milk
  •     3 tbsp vegetable oil (rapeseed/sunflower)
  •     1 very ripe banana, pureed (add a tiny bit of soya milk if necessary)
  •     1/2 cup soft brown sugar
  •     4 cups plain flour
  •     1 tsp salt
  •     3 tsp instant dried yeast
For the filling:
  • 2 tbsp margarine (I used vitalite)
  • 3/4 cup soft brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
For the topping:
  • 1/2 cup icing sugar
  • a few dribbles of soya milk
Place the ingredients into the bread machine in the order shown above. Run the dough cycle. When the dough is ready, preheat the oven to 165°C. Roll the dough into a rectangular shape and prepare the filling; over a low heat mix the margarine, sugar and cinnamon until it is thoroughly mixed. Spread this over the dough.

Roll the dough into a swiss roll shape, beginning at the side to make a longer roll. Slice into reasonably thick slices, about 1” thick. Place the doughy rolls in a greased baking tray, not too close together. Bake for 15 minutes.

While the rolls are baking, mix just enough soya milk with the icing sugar to create a glaze. You should dribble this over the rolls as soon as they come out of the oven. You’ll also want to transfer them to a cooling rack as soon as possible, before the caramelised sugar sticks them to the baking tray forever!

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment