Saturday, 19 May 2012

Cherry Bakewell Cupcakes

This blog has moved! See this post on the relocated blog here: http://spiceboxofearth.co.uk/2012/05/19/cherry-bakewell-cupcakes/





Bakewell tart was a childhood favourite of mine….you know, the proper kind. The internet tells me there is some contention re: where the bakewell tart originated, but alls I know is I spent a lot of time camping in Derbyshire when I was wee, and we oft visited the town of Bakewell where they cash in on the whole thing as earnestly as you might imagine, and boy did I consume a lot of them.

Most Saturdays I bake vegan cupcakes for the tremendously wonderful V Revolution shop in Manchester, and this week I was determined to make a cherry vanilla almond DELIGHT. (Should you wish to, you can follow my cake adventures on Facebook here).

I amended slightly one of my favourite vanilla cupcake recipes out there, and gave it a little custard powder twist…..

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp soya milk milk
  • 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup + 3 Tablespoons sugar
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp almond extract
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup + 3 tbsp self-raising flour
  • 1 tbsp cornflour
  • 1 tbsp custard powder
  • 1 and 1/2 level tsp egg replacer
  • 1 recipe your preferred vanilla buttercream icing
  • flaked almonds to decorate
  • rinsed and dried glacĂ© cherries (or fresh if preferred)
Mix the soya milk and cider vinegar separately and let it curdle slightly (a few minutes).

In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil and extracts. Add the milk mixture and whisk well.

Sift all dry ingredients into the wet, and mix until no large lumps remain.

Spoon into cupcake cases and bake for 17 minutes at 180 degrees.

When the cakes are fully cooled, pipe or spread a simple circle of icing onto the cakes. Add a cherry and some flaked almonds for decoration.

And now, I’m off to indulge in a bit of childhood nostalgia, or, stuffing cake into my mouth….

No comments:

Post a Comment