Sunday, 13 May 2012

Rosemary & Red Onion Sausage Casserole

This blog has moved! See this post on the relocated blog here: http://spiceboxofearth.co.uk/2012/05/13/rosemary-red-onion-sausage-casserole/





After a couple of days of more or less solid junk food scoffing (and waffles for breakfast) I felt like I owed my body a hearty dinner worthy of Sunday night. Since today I was left a football-widow (some big do apparently? oh I don’t know) I decided to fire up the slow cooker.

This sausage casserole is a WINNER. These days I love to use new Linda McCartney red onion & rosemary sausages, but your favourite veggie sausages will do. The trick with this casserole is to chop everything into big chunky pieces, and take advantage of the slow cooking.

Ingredients:
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 1 brown/white onion, chopped
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 2 courgettes, chopped
  • 4 veggie sausages, chopped
  • 1 tin chopped tomatoes
  • a generous slosh of red wine (optional)
  • a generous slosh of liquid aminos
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • 2 tsp rosemary
  • 1 tsp garlic flakes
  • cornflour to thicken (optional)
Set your slow cooker to low, throw in all the ingredients (except the cornflour) and top up with enough water to just cover all the ingredients. This won’t look very attractive at first….

Cook for at least 6 hours. You may want to throw in a couple of tablespoons of cornflour to thicken the casserole slightly after 2-3 hours.

Serve with steamed veggies, rice, or whatever you fancy!

And now I’ve had some good hearty grub, I’m going to check on the banoffee pie setting in the fridge….

No comments:

Post a Comment