Tuesday, 23 October 2012

Vegan Freak?

This blog has moved! See this post on the relocated blog here: http://spiceboxofearth.co.uk/2012/10/23/vegan-freak/




A slightly melancholy post today, dear readers, and a rare diversion from food related blogging from me!

I am very passionate about my cruelty-free lifestyle - being vegan for 5+ years has been a learning experience for me, and these days I try my very best to live my life compassionately in a holistic way. This means I try to buy cruelty free beauty products, avoid visiting zoos or circuses, try to buy from ethical suppliers, etc, as well as consuming no animal products. It's not always easy, but I do my best.

Because I am a member of the proverbial converted choir, I find a lot of the pro-vegan/pro-animal welfare videos, news stories, etc, very upsetting. I also know they are valuable and pack a punch, and the TRUTH should be ruthlessly exposed where such cruelty is concerned. It's tricky.

Sometimes I do get very heart-heavy about the views of other people - friends, family, acquaintances, co-workers, people down the pub, trolls on Facebook, etc etc. In the face of such prejudice against veganism (let's call it what it is) I sometimes have to remind myself of the reasons I have chosen to live the way I do - not because I am at all tempted to revert (vegan til I die!) but because I find it SO hard to reconcile the flippant and short sighted views of intelligent people with the truth about the horrific cruelty they support. I fear that to a lot of my friends and family, my veganism is the inconvenient truth that no-one wants to mention. To them, maybe I am not the person I once was - but I know I am more 'me' than ever.

I guess the purpose of this blog is to demonstrate that a vegan lifestyle is possible, easy, fun, tasty, satisfying and as healthy or unhealthy as you make it.

As time goes by, I become more determined to defend what I think is right if challenged. I saw a quote on a Facebook debate recently where a vegan told someone not to mock vegans for refusing to hide under a rock instead of defending themselves for doing what they believe is right. This stirred me quite a bit - in the past, I've often hid under the metaphorical rock, feeling slightly freakish or weird, and putting up with all manner of jokes, jibes, challenges and occasionally verbal attacks.

I used to joke that veganism was my only moral - I'd never been particularly political before, and was quite apathetic in my youth. When friends remind me of this my answer is: we all have to grow up sometime. (Or maybe not....)

The anti-vegan stance is nothing short of discrimination. The hundreds of thousands of sentient, often intelligent beings that live and die cruelly, horrifically, unnecessarily is something I once realised I could no longer ignore for the sake of my own palate. I refuse to be mocked for my choice. I know I am doing the right thing and the knowledge that I am playing as little part as possible in supporting these horrific practices and industries gives me the most wonderful feeling. It isn't smugness, it is a happiness and a freedom. It hurts me to see exposés of the awful injustices that go on against innocent animals in very unnatural industries, but it hurts me more to realise how much it is ignored.

Here is a whole bunch of reasons why I know I am doing the right thing - vegans beware, this is very upsetting stuff: Animal Aid video vault.

Any thoughts on the matter, fellow vegans? How does it feel to be a vegan in a non vegan world for you?

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you 100%. It is impossible for us to understand why those we love - who are otherwise good people - refuse to give up their support of the vicious and exploitative animals industries. At first we think, 'well, they just don't know what I know. If they did, they would change.' But when they don't change even after we have enlightened them it is very sad and I think it's impossible not to lose at least some respect and affection for them. I guess for some people it has been too long since they were desensitised to animal cruelty, and for them to face up to it now would be too much guilt to handle. So they stay in slightly more comfortable denial. But what you're doing is fantastic - you are making a difference and you, who have been inspired by other vegans, are in turn inspiring new ones. You can only be responsible for your conscience and as long as you stay true to yourself you can't go far wrong. Take heart - there are a hell of a lot of us out there and we will get there in the end. Nice post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I do hope I inspire one or two people at least to consider being vegan, or at least show them there is still plenty of cake and pie involved :)

    ReplyDelete