Thursday, 3 January 2013

Herby Seitan Sausage

This blog has moved! See this post on the relocated blog here: http://spiceboxofearth.co.uk/2013/01/03/herby-seitan-sausage/




I treated myself to some culinary goodies over Christmas - a big ol' bag of wheat gluten, and a bulk pack of nutritional yeast. I wanted to further experiment with some seitan creations, being quite pleased with the beefy seitan I put together a while back. This is a nice herby sausage, best for slicing onto sandwiches or salads. My remaining sausage will almost certainly be tested in a stew, but for now, here is the recipe.

The recipe is easiest to put together using two bowls: one for your dry ingredients, and one for the wet (this is how I bake, too). You'll also want to get your steamer on the go - I use a regular tiered pan arrangement.

Ingredients:
  • 1.5 cups plus 2 tbsp wheat gluten
  • 5 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • 1 tbsp gram/chickpea flour
  • 2 tbsp herbes de provence
  • 2 floz cold water
  • 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 5 cloves of garlic, minced
  • salt & pepper, to taste
You should mix together the wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, gram flour and herbs in a bowl. Use a whisk to mix the ingredients together - this is as good as sifting for me, and I use the same method when baking too.

In a separate bowl whisk together the water, lemon juice, oil, garlic and salt & pepper.

You can then mix the two together to form a firm dough. Knead for a few minutes, then leave the dough for 5 minutes. You can then split it into 3 small 'loaves'. Wrap each securely and tightly in tinfoil, rather like a Christmas cracker. The 'blobs' will form into sausage shapes.

Steam for 45 minutes at least. When the seitan is cooked and cooled, the texture will be much improved by letting it sit in the fridge overnight.

Enjoy sliced onto sandwiches or salads!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Jenny,
    Where do you buy your wheat gluten from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jasmine! In the past I've ordered from Amazon, Vx (http://www.vegancross.com) and also low carb megastore (but I don't think they stock it anymore :/) It's not available 'over the counter' here in Manchester so I always have to order online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny
    Thanks so much for getting back to me, its greatly appreciated. I've now ordered some. Can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you get a bulk pack of nooch from?
    I've never seen one

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Claire - it was from Amazon, I got a pack of 3, which was cheaper than buying in Holland and Barrett :)

    ReplyDelete