Sunday, 21 April 2013

Good ol' Chik'n Stew

This blog has moved! See this post on the relocated blog here: http://spiceboxofearth.co.uk/2013/04/21/good-ol-chikn-stew/




I live in a little suburb here in Manchester, not far from a lovely little village-feel high street. Not too long ago, the wonderful Holland & Barrett opened a store only a 10-15 minute walk from my front door, which continues to give me great joy. Not only can I get my vegan friendly chocolate, canned/dried goods and COLA BOTTLES from nearby shops, but they also have a bless-ed chiller and freezer cabinet, so I can stock up on pizzas, faux meats, faux cheeses, ice cream and other goodies. Last weekend I popped in to try out some Realeat Chicken Style pieces for the first time, and decided to throw together a chicken style stew.

This is an easy midweek dinner, healthy and hearty! Serve with some seasonal veg or (like me) homemade bread :)

I used a sauté pan for this recipe, so I could brown off the 'chicken' to begin with, then cover with a lid to simmer while cooking.

Ingredients:
  • 175g chicken style pieces
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 tbsp plain flour
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 3 large carrots, chopped
  • 400g new potatoes, chopped
  • 1/4 cup pearl barley
  • 2 vegetable stock cubes
  • 1 pint boiling water
  • 2 tsp dried parsely
  • 1 tbsp mustard

Instructions:

Sauté the chicken style pieces in the olive oil with the onions until browned/softened. Add the chopped carrots and plain flour, and mix well. Add the potatoes and pearl barley, parsley and 1 pint vegetable stock made with the boiling water and 2 stock cubes. Mix well, adding a little more water if the vegetables are not quite covered.

Cover the pan, and simmer over a low-medium heat for 45 minutes.

Stir in the mustard, and simmer over a low heat for another 10 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment