Tuesday, 30 April 2013

Jackfruit Carnitas (wimpy non-spicy style)

This blog has moved! See this post on the relocated blog here: http://spiceboxofearth.co.uk/2013/04/30/jackfruit-carnitas-wimpy-non-spicy-style/




Ah, the humble jackfruit, an unripe wonder that's been taking over the vegan world since someone discovered that it makes a tremendous meat substitute; low in calories, great in texture and very absorbent of flavour, this makes a great addition to all kinds of old favourites.

Some of the more popular recipes have been carnitas, 'pulled pork' sandwiches and more. I already used my first ever can of jackfruit in a kathal ki sabzi recently, and that was yummy, but I wanted to have a go at something a bit more fun.

My recipe is pretty simple, and similar to most others out there, but mine has a slight sweet kick to it, and isn't spicy (because I am a coward) but you could certainly pimp it up with a bit of cayenne!

I used a sauté pan to start things off with some chopped onion and the strained jackfruit. I left the lid on for a few minutes to let the jackfruit loosen up a bit. I then got my spice mix together. I used:

  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika
  • salt & pepper to taste

I also made up a mix of:
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp tamarind concentrate


I added both mixes to the jackfruit, mashed it a little in the pan, then covered and allowed to cook away over a low-medium heat for 10-15 minutes. You should add a splash of water to deglaze the pan if it's getting stuck. On the other hand, a few crispy bits add to the overall effect very nicely!


I made my own flatbreads with plain flour, chickpea flour, vegetable oil and water, and just cooked them in a dry frying pan. Flatbreads are easy to make and totally impressive/tasty - you should give them a go! You can more or less pour out your flour into a bowl, 2 cups worth or so, then add a splash of oil, and enough water to make a dough, then roll some balls out flat (honk) and dry-fry a few minutes each side until they look like this...


I served the jackfruit with chopped avocado, cherry tomatoes and cucumber, and some shredded iceberg lettuce. I added a wee bit of plain soya yoghurt.


I will definitely be trying out jackfruit again soon; this would be great food for company (I love to serve DIY dinners when I have guests over) and it's pretty healthy considering it's generally used as a meat alternative! I think it'll be the BBQ pulled 'pork' next on the list for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment