Thursday, 5 September 2013

First Time Ever Sushi (and The Fog)

This blog has moved! See this post on the relocated blog here: http://spiceboxofearth.co.uk/2013/09/05/first-time-ever-sushi-and-the-fog/




I had a fairly major Vegan MOFO fail yesterday.... My lovely friend Vicki came over for dinner and to see my new flat. She brought me beautiful flowers....look!


Now, Vicki is a bit of a trooper. I thought I was mad for deciding to take part in Vegan MOFO, what with having just moved house and not having proper internet access yet. But Vicki is making srsly yum looking grub every day and is due to give birth to her first baby on 20th September (though I suspect he may make an appearance sooner....) Come on now folks, is that commitment to Vegan MOFO or WOT? Check out her blog here: http://madamesew.wordpress.com

Anyhow. I made a yummy sausage casserole with roast potatoes and ghetto garlic bread for us last night. And then I forgot to take photos of it. Chump. So tonight I decided I really had to make up for it. So that's how I ended up making my first EVER sushi attempt.....and I did pretty alright!

Cucumber, spring onion, avocado & mushrooms marinated in soy sauce.




So I was feeling proud of my effort, and decided to treat myself to a real old favourite of mine: The Fog. I have this on blu-ray, and you can't beat a bit of old John Carpenter in HD.

I have a soft spot for this film; I first watched it when I was pretty young. It was on late one Saturday night and I recorded it onto VHS. My Mum had a habit of staying in bed pretty much all day Sunday sometimes, reading the papers, drinking tea and generally not doing much (my Step Dad was around too - it wasn't as bad as it sounds!) Anyway, I was too scared to watch the film on my own so I camped out in my Mum's bed with her and we watched it together on Sunday morning. That was just about the only way I could manage to get through it at the time.....

It's a proper good old fashioned ghost story, though, and I think they're always effective if they're done well. John Carpenter used to be jolly good at making films once upon a time, so it is.

My favourite scene by a country mile is the opening of the film, where Old Mr Machen (I've decided this is a reference to Arthur, and won't be convinced otherwise) pretty much lays out the plot of the whole film for whoever cares to give his campfire story enough attention..... The timing of the video on YouTube gives away the major incontinuity of the story not lasting 5 minutes, but OH WELL! I love it.


Fun fact: The Fog is one of only two films in which Janet Leigh (of Psycho fame) appears with her daughter, Jamie Lee Curtis.

Bonus shot: guess who ate my leftover sushi rice?

12 comments:

  1. those first-time-ever maki look quite yummy ! good job !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Agnès! The recipes on your site all look amazing - I love the French inspired dishes! I would love to try some of these :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely flowers! The sushi looks great, and such a cute pup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie - I love the pussycat pictures on each of your blog posts - maybe I'll start letting Vulpe appear in each of mine :D

      Delete
  3. I LOVE sushi! Those mushrooms look really tasty with soya sauce on them. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't believe I've never made it before - I wanted to use shiitake mushrooms but I was too impatient to wait for the grocery delivery :D :D

      Delete
  4. I love marinated mushrooms in sushi. Usually put them with some sweet potato mashed with sesame oil al a the PPK recipe but will defo try out this combination with the avocado and spring onion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think to look in my cookbooks - I do this WAY too often! That sounds amazing though, I'll check it out :D

      Delete
  5. Your first time sushi looks SO great. I love sushi and you picked some great fillings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I definitely need to get a bit more fancy next time :)

      Delete
  6. Is that really your first time? They look delicious! You beat me to it I'm planning on making sushi maki soon with beans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, first time ever! I think I kept putting it off because I thought it'd be too hard, but it was soooo easy. Can't wait to see your bean recipe! :)

      Delete