Sunday, 8 September 2013

Mushroom & Bean Casserole (and Troll Hunter/Rec)

This blog has moved! See this post on the relocated blog here: http://spiceboxofearth.co.uk/2013/09/08/mushroom-bean-casserole-and-troll-hunterrec/




Today was a good day - I picked up a bargain 2nd hand TV (don't ask what happened to my old one, it's still emotionally raw) and I also found a couple of blu-ray horror bargains....

Total price: £9. Bargain!

Troll Hunter might not strictly be horror, but I bloody love it, and you should watch it! It's one of the most interesting & clever new films I've seen in a long time. It is a crazy Norwegian DELIGHT.

Rec, on the other hand, is about as horror as it gets, and those of you who've professed even a mild fear of the genre should probably steer clear!

I was definitely in the mood for a proper hearty dinner tonight.... I've got the BIGGEST pile of lovely local veg to get through thanks to The Local Veg Box, so quite a few of them went into this (including probably the juiciest corn on the cob I've ever had....)

I also used some mushroom ketchup. Have you ever tried mushroom ketchup before? It's like a mushroomy worcestershire sauce, and is jolly tasty....

Shiitake and button mushrooms.

Mushroom ketchup - a truly fine condiment.

Locally grown tomatoes.

Locally grown corn and spuds.

Ingredients

  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 4 fresh tomatoes, chopped
  • Approx 2 cups mushrooms (any kind)
  • 1 tin butter beans
  • 3 tbsp cornflour
  • 1/4 cup mushroom ketchup
  • 1/2 pint vegetable stock
  • 1 tsp thyme

Sauté the onions and garlic in a little olive oil - I used a sauté pan because they're really tremendous for letting everything 'sweat' together. Add the mushrooms and tomatoes and let cook over a low heat for a few minutes. Add the flour and thyme, and quickly mix well, then add the ketchup and stock. Add the butter beans and let the whole lot cook for at least 40 minutes over a very low heat, stirring occasionally.

I served mine with creamy mashed potatoes and corn and HORROR.




While I've been TV hunting, unpacking, cooking and generally keeping myself busy, 'someone' has been having an incredibly lazy Sunday....


7 comments:

  1. Hmm, I've never heard of mushroom ketchup; will have to look into it! Cute little Vulpe, relaxing on a Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently you can make it yourself too! http://www.britishfoodinamerica.com/A-Number-of-Classics-for-the-Holidays/the-practical/Mushroom-ketchup/#.Ui3nUpOyBME

      Yeh, she had a pretty lazy day today but I think that's because she went off to play with her doggy pals earlier in the afternoon. She's always pooped for a few hours after that :)

      Delete
    2. Neat; thanks for the link! :)
      Awww, that's great that she has some buddies to play with!

      Delete
  2. Vulpe looks so chilled, he reminds me of someone else..... Marco my border collie! He loves chilling out on our bed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww :) Yep people have said she looks like there's a wee bit of collie in her. She's a proper Heinz 57 though!

      Delete
  3. I love Troll Hunter and that casserole looks AMAZING. Clearly two great things to put in your face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes Troll Hunter is amazing and is pretty much one of the films of the decade for me :)

      Delete