Tuesday, 17 September 2013

Polenta 'Bruschetta' and Smoky Tempeh & Bean Stew & Dumplings

This blog has moved! See this post on the relocated blog here: http://spiceboxofearth.co.uk/2013/09/17/polenta-bruschetta-and-smoky-tempeh-bean-stew-dumplings/




Good GRIEF! Some unknown force is trying hard to prevent me from achieving my Vegan MOFO aims! My hotspot wi-fi collection died, so I put my blog pictures onto my external hard drive to use at work, and then that didn't work either...

I have ordered a dongle, but mercifully tonight my hotspot connection returned! So please forgive this small cluster of posts....

This post covers my very delicious lunch and dinner from Saturday.... For lunch I took the creamy polenta recipe from the tremendous New Complete Vegetarian and topped it with a bruschetta style mix of onion, garlic and tomatoes...




I'd also treated myself to some tempeh from Unicorn Grocery, so I decided to make a smoky stew with dumplings for dinner.

For a vegan, I was scared of tempeh for quite a long time. Let's be honest, it looks a bit like a slab of mouldy brains right? I think I decided it must be off the first time I bought it, and it was only after I read about giving it a wee sauté in water (to get rid of the bitterness) that I started cooking with it properly.








I used smoked paprika and spicy chicken seasoning in this stew, along with fresh tomatoes, red peppers and black eyed beans.

I made the dumplings with self raising flour, vegetable margarine rubbed in to the flour, a pinch of salt and enough cold water to make a dough.

Sadly my horror film schedule has been thrown out but I hope my incoming dongle will enable me to return to blogging normality!

2 comments:

  1. The look of tempeh freaked me out for a while, too. I've tried a few different ways of cooking it, though, and I like it now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep I do love it now, I just wish it wasn't so expensive! :/

    ReplyDelete