Wednesday, 6 November 2013

Butternut Mac & Cheeze Bake

This blog has moved! See this post on the relocated blog here: http://spiceboxofearth.co.uk/2013/11/06/butternut-mac-cheeze-bake/





It's been comfort food weather and a HALF here in Manchester lately. Thankfully I have a decent pair of wellies, a good ol' winter coat and grub like this warms my cockles immensely.

These measurements are probably a wee bit approximate but I don't think it matters too much - adjust the soya milk depending on how runny you want your sauce to be!

Ingredients


  • olive oil, salt & pepper
  • 1 small butternut squash, cubed
  • 2 leeks, chopped
  • a few cloves garlic (whole)
  • 1.5 cups cashews (soaked overnight or boiled for 10 mins)
  • 2 cups 'full fat' soya milk
  • 2 tsp vegetable gravy powder
  • 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
  • enough macaroni for two
  • your favourite vegan cheeze, grated

Begin by tossing the squash, leek and garlic in olive oil, salt and pepper, then roast in a medium hot oven until nice and soft.

Cook and drain the macaroni and place in an oven dish.

Ahhh Bisto....I'm glad I found a use for this because I will ONLY have onion gravy on my Sunday dinner!
Blend together the roasted squash/leek/garlic, cashews, soya milk, gravy powder and nutritional yeast. Add a little extra liquid if the sauce is too thick for your liking.

Mix the sauce in with the macaroni and grate your favourite vegan cheeze over the top.

Pre-cheeze grating....I used Tesco soya smoked.

Bake at around 200 for 20 minutes or so, then finish off with 5 minutes under the grill.

Enjoy after a lovely Autumn romp!





1 comment:

  1. Looks great; I've never tried adding butternut squash to mac & cheeze, but it sounds like an awesome idea! :)

    ReplyDelete