Sunday, 17 August 2014

Pasta Alfredo with Polenta Fried Courgette

This blog has moved! See this post on the relocated blog here: http://spiceboxofearth.co.uk/2014/08/17/pasta-alfredo-with-polenta-fried-courgette/





RECIPE ALERT! I DID SOME COOKING YOU GUYZ!

I recall that around this time last year I was suffering from a minor mac & cheeze addiction. I haven't made a creamy pasta sauce in ages and I had a hankerin' somethin' bad last night. I looked at my 'ol faithful' recipe which is the Vegan Yum Yum Hurry Up Alfredo and then with great sadness realised I was cashew-less.... I wasn't about to let something like that stop me though, and put together this weird but ultimately very successful alternative.

Ingredients


  • 1 cup soya milk
  • 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp soya sauce
  • 1 level tbsp polenta
  • 2 tbsp margarine (I used Vitalite)
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
  • salt & pepper to taste
Just go ahead and blend all the ingredients together in your blender, and don't be concerned by the weird looking foam on top of the liquid once it's done. Pour it into a saucepan and heat it gently, stirring with a whisk.

At the same time, using your amazing multi-tasking skillz, slice a courgette into large thin slices. Heat up your best non stick frying pan but add no oil or fat. Coat each side of the courgette slices in olive oil, then in polenta. Fry in the pan until nice and crispy on the outside.

When your pasta's cooked, drain it and stir in the alfredo sauce. Top with the courgette slices and you're good to go!



2 comments:

  1. I love a creamy cheesy sauce and that looks like the perfect way to enjoy courgette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks beautiful! I must try that with courgette, I love coating things in polenta. I recently fell in love with the mac n cheese recipe from The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook. It's essentially just marg, flour, nooch and oil. So bad for you but so tasty. It's a great quick recipe for when I'm cashew-less and wanting something creamy!

    ReplyDelete