Thursday, 9 October 2014

Defiling Nigella's Gratin

This blog has moved! See this post on the relocated blog here: http://spiceboxofearth.co.uk/2014/10/09/defiling-nigellas-gratin/




My wonderful new house further proved its MAGICAL POWERS yesterday. Let me explain..... My need to move house surfaced fairly quickly when relations soured badly with my letting agency (the worst, THE WORST, in all of Greater Manchester, if not beyond) and after the Moving House Three Times Saga of Summer 2013, my heart sank big time.

The thought of grappling with another letting agency, paying agency fees, convincing a new landlord of Vulpe and Miaowski's good behaviour, etc etc etc.....was very very bad. So I posted an ad to my workplace's 'marketplace' page, pleading for a nice home within my budget that would be dog/cat friendly.

I soon heard from my landlord to-be, and there began the serendipitous process that would lead to my new residence, as well as a thrilling series of weeeeird coincidences. Only yesterday I was complaining to whoever would listen about my lack of teapot, so I could ensure a more plentiful supply of tea when beavering away on my MA in my upstairs study. Dear readers, what did I then find, in the garden of all places, tucked away behind a splendid collection of terracotta planters?


A MAGIC HOUSE, I TELL YOU.

Anyhoo, for whatever reason I had a hankering for gratin potatoes tonight. I have no idea where the craving came from, but I had a slab of Tofutti mozzarella style in the fridge, as well as a carton of soy cream, so I decided to do something that would probably upset Nigella A Lot and veganize this recipe.
I halved the recipe so I could use my 250ml carton of soy cream, and I used spring onions instead of reg'lar onions.

How do you like my novelty potato?


I grated some Tofutti mozzarella style cheeze on top before it went in the oven.

By the way, don't leave your pan unattended when you're parboiling the potatoes :(



I doubt Nigella would approve, but this really hit the spot on such a chilly night!

2 comments:

  1. Those look damned good, even if Nigella doesn't approve I certainly do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jojo; I doubt Nigella will ever hear of this sacrilege so I'm probably okay :D

      Delete