Monday, 7 September 2015

Griddled Five Spice & Peanut Butter Tofu

This blog has moved! See this post on the relocated blog here: http://spiceboxofearth.co.uk/2015/09/07/griddled-five-spice-peanut-butter-tofu/






While I'm waiting for the NHS to poke/prod/bloodsuck me enough to figure out what's up with my poor tum, I'm avoiding a whole lot of pretty super stuff, like:
  • Coffee
  • Orange juice
  • Fizzy pop
  • Onions & garlic
  • Tomatoes and all tomato related items
  • Processed foods
  • Too much fat (fat is so tasty wahhhhhhhh)
  • CHOCOLATE
  • DELICIOUS JUNK FOOD LIKE DONUTS AND STICKY BUNS
So yehhhhhhhhh. That's pretty flipping rubbish. But the sore-tum is definitely not worth it, so I'm trying to come up with some tasty meal options. This was tonight's effort and it was YUM.

Ingredients:

  • A big ol' glug of sesame/nut oil
  • A glug of soy sauce
  • A glug of mirin (optional if you don't have any in!)
  • A big dollop of whole peanut butter
  • A generous chunk of fresh ginger, chopped
  • 2 tsp five spice
  • 2 tsp turmeric
  • Tofu (as much as you fancy, pressed and sliced into little slabs)
  • Rice & veggies as desired!
Put all ingredients (except the tofu, rice and veggies) into a small food processor and blend the living heck out of it. Add some water if you need to, so the sauce isn't too thick.



Put your rice on to cook, and any veggies (the tofu will probably need about 15 minutes).

This works super duper in a griddle pan and I highly recommend you use one. If you don't have one, you NEED one! But if you don't then you could always bake the tofu in the oven, or use a regular frying pan.

Heat up your griddle pan (or frying pan/oven whatevs) and have your tofu n sauce on standby. You'll need to give each piece of tofu a good dunk before you put it onto the griddle pan.



Put the tofu onto the griddle pan, making sure to turn it after 5-10 minutes.



BEHOLD THOSE PLEASING GRIDDLE LINES RIGHT? Get yourself a griddle pan for dog's sake!

After 10 minutes or so I added the rest of the sauce to the griddle pan, and a few chopped red peppers.

I served this on plain rice with some veggies on the side. Yummers, and pretty darn healthy too (*crying inside*).




4 comments:

  1. The griddle lines are quite impressive indeed! Looks like quite the colorful meal! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Griddle lines are so handsome! I'm sure I read somewhere that eating lots of colours is healthy, so I hope that's true :)

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you back blogging, and I hope that you feel better and find some solutions for your health problems :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thank you. I hope so too - not being able to eat anything I want is a little disheartening but hopefully I'll have some answers soon :)

      Delete