Sunday, 3 January 2016

Slow-cooker Tofu, Shiitake and Coconut Curry

This blog has moved! See this post on the relocated blog here: http://spiceboxofearth.co.uk/2016/01/03/slow-cooker-tofu-shiitake-and-coconut-curry/



Just to get super duper personal for a mo, yesterday I went to a very odd-looking NHS spaceship for, appropriately enough, some pretty unpleasant probing in my insides with a camera in a tube. I wasn't allowed most of the tasty foods in my kitchen for the day before, and was allowed fluids only on the day. I do rather enjoy my food so I was moping a bit more than was strictly necessary. My super pal Emil joined me in case I needed to be sedated and also because I'm a scaredy-pants. ANYHOO! We totally stuffed our faces with a tasty cauliflower pakora wrap in Odd Bar when we got back to town afterwards, and then I felt a smidgen of regret since my ~procedure~ had left me with air pumped into my intestines (super!) and it turned out that pumping a cauliflower pakora wrap in my stomach as well didn't actually assist with that too much (this surprised me too).

So I don't think my hangriness really hit me in a big way until today, and I dunno, maybe it's because my lovely friend Vicki made me the BEST Thai noodle curry a couple of weeks back, but I had an uber craving for a nice creamy tofu curry.

I'm also a huge fan of appropriating condiments and ingredients meant for meat dishes and throwing them in my lovely vegan dinner, so I was a bit excited about THIS:


I was feeling tremendously lazy after all the nerves I used up yesterday and it's been a while since I fired up my beloved slow cooker, so I decided to throw everything in, hope for the best, and have a nice wee nap while I waited for it to cook.

Ingredients


  • 1 can full fat coconut milk
  • 3 tbsp peanut butter (crunchy or smooth is fine)
  • 1 tbsp mirin
  • 1 ginger and lemongrass flavour pot, made into a stock with 1/2 pint boiling water
  • 1 tsp chili flakes
  • 1 onion, sliced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
  • 1 bell pepper (yellow or red)
  • 1 cup cubed/chopped tofu (pressed to remove excess moisture)
  • 1 cup small or chopped shiitake mushrooms
  • 1 cup broccoli florets
  • 2 cups chopped spring greens or kale
  • Rice or noodles, whatever you fancy (I used udon noodles)
To begin, throw the coconut milk, peanut butter and ginger/lemongrass stock into the slow cooker along with the mirin and chili flakes. Give the whole lot a good whisk until it's more or less blended together.


Then, add the sliced onion and all other ingredients. If you can be bothered, it would be very nice to pre-fry the tofu just to brown it a bit. Or, you can give it a good fry and save it for serving. Being me, I chose the laziest option and threw it into the pot.


I left this on high for a couple of hours. The broccoli wasn't too soft at all. I put the broccoli and greens into the pot after all the other ingredients, to give them more of a 'steam'. You might worry there isn't enough liquid for everything you've added in there, but don't worry, it'll shrink down for sure.




I served this over udon noodles. The sauce is delicious and you'll want everything floating in it for sure, so noodles suit this pretty well. I sure hope my colon isn't too offended by these leafy greens, that's all I can say. THUMBS UP.

Not too pretty, aye, but lordy it tastes good.

While the sauce was soooooooooo good, I did think the whole dish might've been more handsome if cooked in a pan, adding the greens at the end, and maybe giving the tofu a bit of a fry. A wee sprinkling of peanuts and spring onions would be splendid. When I'm feeling less lazy I will definitely give that a go, but this is a really tasty option (and not too unhealthy) for those times when you can't quite be bothered to do Proper Cooking. Here to demonstrate my mood this weekend is my little poochums. Thanks pooch, that's spot on <3


8 comments:

  1. That looks delicious and I love the idea of using the Knorr flavour pots, I don't think I've ever noticed them before. I hope everything okay with your insides, I had the camera experience in 2014 and I swear the least fun part is not being able to eat anything the day before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I think basically that was what bothered me the most! Until afterwards when I was all pumped full of air and the nurse was like "oh yeh you'll probs be farting for 36 hours". I managed not to embarrass myself too much in public afterwards!

      I love the herby Knorr pots too. Some are meaty but these ones are so handy for lazy folks like me :)

      Delete
  2. Yum! I wish my slow cooker wasn't banished to the depths of the loft, it's soo good for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww man I love my slow cooker! I have one of the vegan cookbooks and it's kind of amazing all the different stuff you can make. I had a doggie birthday party in the summer and I used it for a hot dog station. It's great :)

      Delete
  3. That looks delicious...and I'm in the mood for a good curry!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummo! I would have ate the lot! I love tofu curries. Thanks for reminding me about my slow cooker too! I'd forgotten all about it stuck in the back of a cupboard! :o)
    Hope you're OK and recovered from your experience, my friend had it done and it completely stressed her out. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love my slow cooker, especially for rainy Manchester weekends and easy curries/chillis/stews :)

      And thanks; I am recovered from my camera probing now! I learned that stuffing more food into my stomach was not the short term solution :D

      Delete